13.10.11

short story long: road

I remember it as if it were yesterday: a beautiful bright morning in October, anti-cyclonic in fact. Birds were hopping about among the rusty leaves, with only the earliest of risers fortunate enough to see them at play. I was making my way down towards the office when, amid the hustle and bustle and buses, I saw, out of the corner of my eye, something rather unusual. The sight quite stopped me in my tracks. “What on earth was she doing here?” I thought. And I gave chase, eventually catching up with her some way further down on the other side of the street. Slightly breathlessly, I shouted down towards her, “Why ever did you do that?” To which the chicken responded “Simply, sir, to gain access to the other side of the street.”

No comments:

Post a Comment